Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The 101th YOU Go Live in Utah Post




Things that brighten my day....

The Seattle Supersonics pistol-whipped the San Antonio Spurs. Well, won by three but still it's SEATTLE. And Tony Parker is out "indefinitively" with a heel bone SPUR. Oh irony, you are a cruel mistress. I mean, besides Tony Parker's actual mistress(es).


I have fantastic news! It's not too late to waste your time and money in a feeble attempt to wedge yourself permanently into Soulja Boy's Top 8 friends on Myspace. At least, I assume that's what this grammatical train wreck of a message from Soulja himself is saying.

This is why the internet is my boyfriend: In 1986, Disney TV aired the Disney Valentine's Special which I taped and subsequently watched one billion times until the tape broke. As a 5 year old, it was pretty much my Citizen Kane. Mostly because it featured vignettes of all my favorite Disney characters in romantic situations set to the pop hits of the day. It was where I discovered my love for The Stray Cats and Madonna since Garland only got MTV added to its' cable channel selection post-House of Style.






The "Dress You Up" clip was especially heartwarming for me to find as I have a scar on my pinkie from a tragic dance-ident (dance-related accident) that was a direct result of that clip. Having a single Mom who was earning her Masters at night while teaching school during the day means you get plenty of time to dance around the house in your Mom's clothes to the pop hits of the day. Or, say, put on satin robes and lots of necklaces and dance to your Disney tape. Unfortunately, it's also possible to get so into the moment that your pinkie gets tangled in one of those necklaces and you end up slicing your finger open. Thanks Michael Eisner, you ass.

I bring all this up because one of my other favorite moments was the Mickey and Minnie courtship set to "Tell it to My Heart" by Taylor Dayne. Another dance floor favorite of 5 year old Me. Which is why this pains me so.


Also, if Disney's Valentines Special was my Citizen Kane, surely Mr. Boogedy was my Third Man:



I guess what I am trying to say is that as a 27 year old, the things that make me happy are knowing that Bush is almost gone, that Tony Parker and the San Antonio Spurs are third in the Western Conference and the mere thought of Disney made-for-TV movies.

1 comment:

Michaela said...

Oh maaaan. You have spoken to my heart in more ways than you'll ever know.